5 replies to this topic

#1 Glass guy

Glass guy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:36 AM

Hi Im new hear and self taught. I guess this is where I post this? This is a gift I made but wanted any comments on things I should do better
Merry Christmas to all
https://s14.postimg....4_E0804_E64.png

#2 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

Merry Christmas to You!

The foil looks like it need to be burnished better.  I am seeing lots of peaks in the foil. Wrinkles are expected but not peaks.  The foil needs to be tight to the glass every where.

Great start!

#3 Fox

Fox

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

A nice pattern, but it's about  halfway there as far as the leading is concerned. It should have a nice rounded bead and definitely needs one along the edge. Getting this done so it looks smooth is a skill you develop over time, whatever particular iron or heat setting you're using: definitely a matter of feel and nothing you want to rush. Be generous with the flux and though many people find that 60/40 solder flows more smoothly, I feel that 50/50 stands up to more reworking.

#4 Glass guy

Glass guy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

Thanks
I’m getting there
https://s14.postimg....55_FC4935_D.png

#5 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

Looks pretty good. Like John said, the foil needs to be rubbed down better. I just use a sharpie pen and it does a good job. I do the edges first then the sides.

#6 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

From what I see, the hanging loop is only attached to the outside foil.  If so, you will finds the foil will pull away down the road.  Rule of thumb for sun catchers is to have the hanging loop wire soldered into one or more of the solder lines which go from the edge into the main body.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users