#1 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Merry Christmas to All!

-   What types of heads are you using on you glass cutters? (Standard, Tap wheel, 2-step wheel, trac wheel, ???)

-   If not a standard carbide head, what is it you like about the one(s) you are using?

-   When would you choose one over the other?

-   Pattern vs wide head?

#2 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:28 PM

Good question. I never gave much thought to cutting heads, and always just used what came on a standard TOYO cutter. Interesting this subject just came up since I was checking my cutters and comparing how they cut, and looks like I need to change the wheels on two of them. I looked ta what I have and there seems to be a variety of cutter wheels that are numbered  5, 4, and 2 in 5/32. Guess I need to search and see what the difference is, unless some one else chimes in.

#3 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:59 PM

Found out the wheels I have came from Fletcher and they still show new  new wheels and pins.  One would think that a small wheel cutter like that would be a lot cheaper, but I guess you pay for the name and the precision. Evidently the bevel and size of the wheel have to do with the thickness of the glass.  I seem to have a variety of 20 wheels and pins. Going to change the wheel in one of the dull Toyos tomorrow and see how it works.

#4 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:59 PM

OK. Changed the cutter wheel in my oldest TOYO Pistol Grip cutter today. The TOYO cutter wheel was smaller that the Fletcher wheels I had, and the pin was larger, so I took out the TOYO wheel and recut the cutter slot wider, and deeper to fit the Fletcher wheel, and drilled the pin hole for the right pin size. Now my TOYO is a "Fletcher" cutter. The new wheel is larger, and makes a nice even hissing sound when drawn across the glass, and nice clean breaks. Definitely a higher quality cutter wheel.

#5 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

Just picked up a tap wheel cutter.  

I tried it expecting to feel a small difference but It feels the same as my brass barrel Toyo with a TC-10 head while scoring.  I double checked the head to make sure it had a TC-21 V. (V = Tap wheel) 

The glass edges after running the scores appeared the same between the two styles of heads & I didn't notice any difference in running the scores.

I guess a real test will be when I come up with a piece of glass that doesn't run right with my standard cutter.  I can then try the tap wheel cutter & compare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users