• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:36 AM

I'm in the UK, which type, brand of  glue would effectivly, glue together two or more sheets of, 3mm horticultural greenhouse glass? One sheet  must be completely flat on the other. Glass I'm looking at, see Ebay UK item number 92279330418

#2 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

UV glue would be the only one I can even think of.

#3 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

Hi ,

I looked at the Amazon reviews and some YouTubes on this type of glue. I assume you haven't used it for glass?

All the reviews were very negative.

but thanks anyway, I''ll see what other replies come in.

#4 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

I have used a lot of UV glue and its been good. When working with glass its good to have it be able to move around before you commit to hitting it with UV light,  Some folks use sunlight to cure it. I prefer a UV light source. Caution in using a strong light source. It can damage eyes and burn skin. (bad sunburn) I always use UV glasses and gloves

#5 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

Hi Boris and thanks.
This is the kind of thing I've looked at on Amazon and YouTube reviews.
Are you using something different with much better results? Whats your UV source.
I'm thinking of using it to glue together various layers of 3mm greenhouse horticultural glass. So as to make up a suitable thickness of glass. As an economical method of practicing my sandblast carving into glass. Assume should be able to just use dabs of glue to hold sheet to sheet. After gluing, would use a stone to remove sharp edges and handle the glass cafefully inside the cabinet. When you say moving the glass around a bit. You mean put a squidg of the gunk on, put glass on glass and move around a bit. Same idea as gluing together two flat faces of timber?
Peter.

#6 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

I have used UV glue successfully to glue 2 pieces of glass together.  The clearer the glass the better. 

#7 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

I have used UV glue successfully to glue 2 pieces of glass together.  The clearer the glass the better. 

Ah, OK thanks.

#8 WayneFL

WayneFL

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

This is what the pros use:

HXTAL NYL-1 is a museum quality epoxy adhesive for laminating, bonding, and repairing glass. It is a water white (optically clear) adhesive with the same index of refraction as borosilicate glass. HXTAL is extremely versatile and can be thinned down for use as a clear coat or allowed to thicken in order to mold into missing parts of glass. With a long history and excellent track record it is one of the best adhesives for bonding glass to glass and glass to other mediums.

Or this one:

XTR-311 is a water clear, low viscosity, two part epoxy for laminating and bonding glass. It is also fantastic for crack repair due to it's lower viscosity. The epoxy is mixed 10:3 and cures in roughly 36 hours. It will remain clear for the life of the joint and can be colored if required.

https://www.hisglass...xtal-nyl-1.html

#9 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

This is what the pros use:

HXTAL NYL-1 is a museum quality epoxy adhesive for laminating, bonding, and repairing glass. It is a water white (optically clear) adhesive with the same index of refraction as borosilicate glass. HXTAL is extremely versatile and can be thinned down for use as a clear coat or allowed to thicken in order to mold into missing parts of glass. With a long history and excellent track record it is one of the best adhesives for bonding glass to glass and glass to other mediums.

Or this one:

XTR-311 is a water clear, low viscosity, two part epoxy for laminating and bonding glass. It is also fantastic for crack repair due to it's lower viscosity. The epoxy is mixed 10:3 and cures in roughly 36 hours. It will remain clear for the life of the joint and can be colored if required.

https://www.hisglass...xtal-nyl-1.html

OK thanks for that, both expensive though.

#10 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

Hi Boris and thanks.
This is the kind of thing I've looked at on Amazon and YouTube reviews.
Are you using something different with much better results? Whats your UV source.
I'm thinking of using it to glue together various layers of 3mm greenhouse horticultural glass. So as to make up a suitable thickness of glass. As an economical method of practicing my sandblast carving into glass. Assume should be able to just use dabs of glue to hold sheet to sheet. After gluing, would use a stone to remove sharp edges and handle the glass cafefully inside the cabinet. When you say moving the glass around a bit. You mean put a squidg of the gunk on, put glass on glass and move around a bit. Same idea as gluing together two flat faces of timber?
Peter.

Not sure of the brand now. Got it from my stained glass store.  I use a handheld commercial UV light made by GM.  Its few years old but very powerful . I have used it to glue small pieces on an item where there is no replacement glass or and just stabilizing is in order and not restoration. With this glue, I can adjust the pieces until they are perfect, and the glue will not activate until the light hits it.

#11 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:12 AM

Not sure of the brand now. Got it from my stained glass store.  I use a handheld commercial UV light made by GM.  Its few years old but very powerful . I have used it to glue small pieces on an item where there is no replacement glass or and just stabilizing is in order and not restoration. With this glue, I can adjust the pieces until they are perfect, and the glue will not activate until the light hits it.

OK thanks.

#12 Knight

Knight

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Art, nature, cooking vegetarian, listening to vinyl, and my Love.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

I really don't think there is an inexpensive adhesive that works.

UV glue is worth the cost follow the directions and it works very well!

#13 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

Wayne is right also. I have used HXTAL and forgot I used it to fill in parts where glass was missing, and it is used by Museums because of its optical qualities and holding properties.  Thanks for bringing that up Wayne.  Good adhesives are expensive, but they work.  You get what you pay for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users