9 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

Looking back over older threads, there were several comments on beginner classes, good & bad. 

----

Some of my thoughts on points to consider for a brand new student:

- Try to find a class where you can use the teacher's tools for the classes instead of having to buy them before taking the course.  If after taking the course you decide it is not a craft you wish to continue with you will not have $150 - 200 of tools you will no longer need.

- A handout listing & describing the minimum tools & consumable supplies needed for working with stained/art glass should be provided. A list of safety considerations would be appropriate.

- Teacher will normally have 1-4 simple pattern options of 6 - 12 pieces.  This is no reflection on your ability they just want you to be able successfully go through all the steps needed to complete a stained glass project during the scheduled lessons.

- You will asked to sign a liability waiver.  Glass cuts do happen.

- Need to wear clothing which covers most of your skin.  No shorts or open toed shoes.

------

Please voice your opinions.  My opinions are in ()

A - Maximum size of class:

1 - # of students per instructor/assistant? (12, 6 - 8 is preferred)

2 - # of students per grinder? (3)

B - Type of class:

1 - A shorter "Taste of Working With Glass" class where students are able to complete a basic project in a 4 hour block.

2 - A series of lessons spanning several weeks.

3 - Combination of a "taste" class will allow one to decide if they really would like to pursue working with stained glass followed by a series of classes which goes further in depth with each step.  (Option #3)  There is so much to share in beginner classes it is easy to overwhelm the students. This is why I like to start with a "Taste of Working With Glass" seminar & then follow up with an expanded series of lessons.

C - Maximum # of pieces for first project. (6-8)  If using combined option, max # of pieces for second project. (8-16)

D - Minimum age of student.  (Depends on maturity level & if parent(s) are participating.  Our children started at 10 & 12 years. I know of others who are in their 20's who would have needed closer supervision)

------

Thanks for your feed back.

#2 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:16 PM

Sorry poor subject description.  Should have been, "Beginner Class Considerations".  Didn't know how to change it.

#3 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:02 AM

I am not currently teaching because I am moving tomorrow.  But taught at Hobby Lobbies and senior centers for 25 years.  

I wrote a manual that goes along with my lessons for my new students.  I did not do a structured, closed, number of weeks to complete a project.  I always work on an open system.  Students could join a class whenever they were ready.  Some classes had first class students working at the same time with students who had been coming to me for years.  That worked well for my students, and me, as well.

I agree with the 6-8 students, and 3 per grinder.

I always provide tools and basic supplies for class use, but no glass.

I have offered a one day intensive class, as an introduction to stained glass,  on occasion.  They have been well received, but never generated repeat students.

My beginning students may choose from a fleur de lis, an art nouveau design, a simple art Deco  design, a simple art nouveau iris, a very 60's-ish flower, or a Victorian design.  Most of them are built in 16X20 size, the flowers are done in 10X20.  I do not start my students out on small stuff, and they have always seemed to appreciate that.  Once they have completed their first piece, they can tell me what they want to learn beyond that.  My senior (55 and wiser) beginning students are offered a choice of quilt squares in 14X14.

All of my students are allowed to work at their own pace.  Most complete their first piece in  about 6 classes.  I had one student, because of lots of family issues and health problems, take a year to finish her first piece.  Some students are there every week, some about every other week, some randomly.  

I have received some heartwarming emails and phone calls from students over the past weeks that have reminded me why I teach, and why I love it.

#4 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for your input!

Hope your move will go smooth, provide you with a good place for your glass workshop, & be convenient for your family to visit. 

#5 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

Moving to a tiny town in north central Florida from the Atlanta area.  My studio will be about 30X30ft.  It will only be a 5 hour drive for any of my children or grandchildren, except for the grandchild who lives in Alabama.  Everyone is glad we are going there, so the can have a place in Florida to go.

#6 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:52 AM

That will make a nice sized studio.  Looking forward to seeing photos when it is setup.

#7 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

Moving to a tiny town in north central Florida from the Atlanta area.  My studio will be about 30X30ft.  It will only be a 5 hour drive for any of my children or grandchildren, except for the grandchild who lives in Alabama.  Everyone is glad we are going there, so the can have a place in Florida to go.

Hope it all works out for you. Look forward to seeing new shop as John is.

#8 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

Thanks, Boris!  So do I....This is to be my last move. period.  We will be building a small house just the way we want it.  Will be living in a camper while building.  Come on SPRING!

#9 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

I can understand camping out while building.  We spent a year up in the shop for a year while building our house.  Just moved into the house November. We also plan for this to be our final home. A simple ranch 3 bedroom with 2150 sq ft & garage.  The shop has 5,000 sq ft with 800 sq ft of it dedicated to stained glass.

#10 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

What will be my studio will be mainly storage for a little while....can't do glass, I guess.  The house will be under 1000 sq ft.  The camper will become our "guest house".  Some of my students have asked me to do workshops so they will have an excuse to visit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users