#1 sayluv

sayluv

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hi.

I have never done any glass work before. I would like to learn how to do this and eventually make something similar to what is in the attached picture for our skylight.

Does anyone have recommended 

1. starter kits?

2. preferred online video tutorials

3. know where I can get this glass?

https://ibb.co/nxH7qn

thanks, sl

#2 Terry_

Terry_

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:46 PM

First off I have some questions for you. Do you have a shop or store nearby that has knowledgeable people on staff?  Re-reading,  obviously there's a shop near you since you ask about where to get the glass - that is part of the problem with today's e-commerce you can buy the product but there is no helpful guidance on how to use it.  Do you know how to solder?  Do you know how to cut glass?  When I started I already knew how to solder and how to cut glass, so just the vague instructions from a shop wanting to sell me supplies and my willingness to experiment was all I needed to get started.

The glass in your picture looks to be just textured clear glass and should be available or able to be ordered from a regular glass shop - a place that sells replacement glass for home windows and mirror sheets and glass for table tops.  These shops are fairly common here in the USA, but I don't know where you are.

Well looking back at what I've wrote I guess I have to say I'm sorry but it seems I don't have any really helpful guidance on how to get started.  Having a shop nearby that offers some guided help on how to use their products will get you past the toughest hurdles.  I've always wanted to take a class but that just hasn't happened. Mostly getting started it's just be willing to use some materials learning, playing and getting comfortable with the processes.  YouTube and Google will be your friends and posting a question about a specific problem, might get you an answer you can work with.  The active members here seem very knowledgeable and helpful.  

#3 Eyeshooter

Eyeshooter

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

I, too, am new to stained glass and just found this forum. I went on the web and found a class about 40 minutes from home that in 1 session had me cutting straight and curved pieces and starting a pattern. I find the $25/ 2.5 hours cost including tools and materials extremely reasonable. Other options were less expensive but you buy your tools and glass separately.  The instruction has quickly allowed me to develop basic skills and saved me from making a number of mistakes that would waste glass and probably saved a few stitches ;-). I also was able to try different styles of glass cutters, running pliers, grozers and various grinders, giving me experience before deciding what I wanted to buy for home. Save yourself time and money by googling "stained glass classes" in your locale and start off right. Enjoy!

#4 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

If there is a Hobby Lobby near you, see if they have stained glass classes.  Consider finding the nearest stained glass studio or stained glass shop.  You tube videos work great for some people, but offer others little help.  You can order basic stained glass instruction books online, if you think you can learn that way.  For most folks, class instruction with a patient skilled instructor offers the best option for a good start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users