8 replies to this topic

#1 Spitterkat

Spitterkat

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:17 AM

is it possible to not use a grinder and instead opt for grozing pliers combined with a light box?

#2 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

I would never do that.  I want the edges of my glass pieces for a project to be smooth and consistent.  With grozing pliers, the edges are not consistent.

#3 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

A good glass grinder is worth 3 times what you pay for it!  

#4 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

If you were only working with lead came you could get by without a glass grinder but I agree that a glass grinder is one of the handiest tools you will have. 

One of the most affordable options in my area is the Power Max II through Hobby Lobby using the 40% off coupon, you can buy one for around $90 including sales tax.  I have 9 glass grinders Inland & Glastar brands & the Power Max II I purchased & had delivered to my son's duty station works as well as any of the grinders I have.

#5 Spitterkat

Spitterkat

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

glasser, youre a legend! i live in NZ so sadly I cant get anything from hobby lobby. Luckily there was a used one in good nick on ebay (I was looking into getting one from amazon worth way more)

#6 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

I use a Glastar G8 All Star, and have a 4 backup grinders of different makes. They all do the same job, Grind glass. The only reason I got the Allstar was that at the time it was the only one with a wide work area and a water pump. If I was starting into glass, I would get one a lot cheaper.  Does the same job as the high priced ones. Its like a hammer. Any hammer will drive a nail. One may be fancier, and have a better handle, but they all drive nails.

#7 Narntson

Narntson

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:13 PM

I'm new here and working on my first proj., but with all the added expenses; respirator, safety glasses, etc., the extra $100 for an additional grinder will be spent further down the road.  I have a dremel and bought a pair of diamond mandrels for less than $30.  This, I hope, will get me to complete a few projects first.  Don't forget wet sponges, don't let ANY dust go airborne if you can help it.

#8 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

I'm new here and working on my first proj., but with all the added expenses; respirator, safety glasses, etc., the extra $100 for an additional grinder will be spent further down the road.  I have a dremel and bought a pair of diamond mandrels for less than $30.  This, I hope, will get me to complete a few projects first.  Don't forget wet sponges, don't let ANY dust go airborne if you can help it.

Problem may be controlling the water with a Dremel. They don't like water and will let you know with a shock if it gets into the wrong place.

#9 Swalker15

Swalker15

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

I am brand new to stained glass.  I have completed two tiny projects just to learn the basics.  And just with those two attempts, I WILL be getting a glass grinder.  I don't know how you can be precise without one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users