#1 geminisbro

geminisbro

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

:teacher: Hi all, 

I have a Weller 100 PG, 100W 700 deg F soldering iron that cost about 50$ but I feel like I have no control over the temperature and that it may be running too hot at times.  

So...I have a 2 part question.  

Which soldering iron should I buy (hopefully between 50 and 150$) ?

And at what temperature should I run it at for 60/40 solder on stained glass projects? 

I feel like this soldering iron is very inconsistent in heat and makes it nearly impossible to make smooth solder junctions in the projects I've worked on.  I'm working on some nice projects and am getting tired of everything looking good except the solder.  

Thank you in advance!  :peace:

#2 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

Have you tried other tips?   Maybe a 600F degree tip would work better than the 700F you have been using.   Also, tips come in different widths.......

#3 geminisbro

geminisbro

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

Thanks but actually looking for suggestions on which soldering iron and temperature to use. Variable seems popular on YouTube.

#4 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,579 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

Seems all the glass folks are going to the Hakko 601 with a 1/4 inch chisel tip.  That iron is well inside your cost range.  I have not tried one or tested one yet, but my glass supplier loves it, and I have watched her using it. Nice consistent bead and did not seem to run out of heat..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iron, soldering iron, heat, temperature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users