4 replies to this topic

#1 Lampgirl

Lampgirl

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:18 PM

I am nearly finished with an panel that I want to frame with copper pipe and place in our garden.  I want to suspend the panel from the frame, which will them be mounted on an old tree stump.  I would like suggestions for hardware to attach to the zinc frame and a method to connect to the frame to the copper piping.  Thanks!

#2 Knight

Knight

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Art, nature, cooking vegetarian, listening to vinyl, and my Love.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:27 AM

I would take some pictures to a local hardware store and find someone who looks like they have a brain...if you are lucky they can help problem solve what you are up against. I know that there are many different clips, clamps, and clasps that attach to the pipe; all made in different diameters to fit the pipe. The issue would be attaching it to the zinc around your panel. If you have enough of a tail a simple nut and bolt may work to attach the zinc to the clasp/clip. I suggest waltzing the isles of the hardware store and looking for things that may work. 

#3 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

I am nearly finished with an panel that I want to frame with copper pipe and place in our garden.  I want to suspend the panel from the frame, which will them be mounted on an old tree stump.  I would like suggestions for hardware to attach to the zinc frame and a method to connect to the frame to the copper piping.  Thanks!

I would solder a copper metal tab, about an inch wide,  to one side of the zinc border, where it meets the pipe, and wrap the tab around the pipe, then solder to the other side of the zinc, making a "clamp" type fastener. Then just solder the tab loop to the pipe, after you get it in position.

#4 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

I will venture a guess you are able to attach rings to the zinc so I am directing my response to the copper stand.  You will want to hang it from the top only to allow it to float in the wind unless it is 8" or smaller.  If you can orient it so it is sideways to the strongest winds you normally get it would be wise.

Questions:

- How big is your panel?

- Is your stump wide enough for the frame to come straight down on each side of the panel with 3/4 - 1" gape on each side of the panel & set into holes drilled into the stump?

My answers may change depending on your answers to the above questions but here is a starting point:

- You will need to use rigid copper pipe not copper tubing which will bend too easy.  It comes in 10' lengths but some places may sell cut pieces in shorter lengths.  How big a diameter pipe will depend on the size of the panel.  I would not use less than 3/4" regard less of the size, Possibly larger.

- You will need 2 - 90 degree elbows the same size as the pipe to sweat solder on to connect the uprights to the cross piece.

- Since you will not be drinking water from this pipe, you can use the same flux & solder you are using for stained glass to attach the 90 degree elbows. 

- You will need a small torch to heat the joint, your soldering iron will not work.  Scuff up the inside of the elbows & the ends of the pipe which will fit into the elbows with a wire brush, emery cloth/sandpaper, or steel wool. 

- Apply flux to the ends of the pipe & inside of elbows.  Fit it together. 

- Heat the elbow & pipe close to the elbow to where the solder will melt & be sucked into the joint by touching the copper not because the flame is hitting it.

- The mounts can be made by drilling 2 holes 1/4 to 1/2" apart over each of the mounting rings on the panel large enough to insert a piece of #12 or #10 copper wire, (used for wiring houses), bent in a "U" shape up from the bottom.  It should hang down 1/2" & sticking out the top slightly. 

- Solder the "U"s in place on the top & bottom of the pipe & use chain to hang the panel.

#5 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

Boris's suggestion of soldering a "U" over the pipe to the frame is another great option.  Make sure the "U" fits loose enough it allow the panel to swing in the wind.  You might watch out for the panel walking over time  to one side or the other as it ricks in the wind to prevent it from hitting one of the uprights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users