7 replies to this topic

#1 Omnimusico

Omnimusico

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:10 PM

Hi, first thank you for accepting me in the forum. 

My question is:

I am on a project where the pieces of glass are all squares or rectangles and im a little bit tired of doing this 90º by eye. I use a grinder where i help myself whit a ruller to do the paralles of a square but when it comes the time to do the 90º i have to do it just by eye and i was wondering if is there a tool that i can use for it. Perhaps some kind of 90º ruller to atach in the grinder or something, do you understand me?

Thank you in advance for your Help

Ari

I tried to upload an image but it doesnt work

#2 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:49 PM

This is a good question! 

Using the grinder to make parallel strips/squares is not an option to me.

There are several options for cutting parallel strips which should pretty near eliminate grinding.

1 - Use a speed square:  It has a lip on each side which the glass can rest against. Simple but requires you to either mark the glass or make a spacer for multiple cuts.

2 - Take a drafting or drywall "T" square & fasten it on top of a piece of plywood, homasote board, table, ... with spring clamps.  Use a 1/4" spacer between the tip of the long bar & the table top to create a space for the glass to slide under the long bar & rest against the short portion of the square.  You can fasten a yard stick against the short potion with the 10" mark positioned to where it matches up with the glass cutter wheel when it is resting against the side of the bar.  This will allow you measure the strips without having to mark them. (10-1/2" = 1/2", 11" = 1" and so on.)

3 -  Another option in place of the yardstick with the "T" square in option #2 is to use a framing square "L".  Drill 1/16" holes every 6-8" starting in the center of the corner in each direction.  Position it against the short bar with the short leg paralleling the long bar.  Hold the glass cutter against the long bar of the "T" square.  Using the ruler on the framing square, slide the framing square to where there is the right gap between cutter wheel & the paralleling arm to give you the width of the strip you need. (Built in glass stop.)  Use push pins in the holes you drilled to lock the framing square in place.

4 - For around $40 you can buy a strip cutter/circle cutter.  Island, Glastar, Studio Pro, ...

5 -  Purchase a Mortions Portable Glass Shop or Beetle Bits glass cutting system.  Both work very well.  Expect to spend close to$150 for either one.
   -  Advantage of Mortons is precision angles but it requires you to use your own hand held glass cutter. (Not a big thing to me.) Great documentation & video instruction.
   -  Disadvantage, it takes about a half hour to read through the instructions & set the system up.
   -  Advantage of the Beetle Bits is the Flying Beetle which is a glass cutter which slides on the scoring bar. This keeps the cutter perpendicular which minimized flaring.
   -  Disadvantage, documentation is minimal & to set angles there is a protractor at the end of the bar which will get you close to the angle you want but will need to be verified with a square if you like precision.

Note: I teach how to use both in my classes so the students can decide which fits their style.  There is no general consensus among the students which they prefer.  In general they like them both.

Try to develop your cutting skills to where there is minimal grinding needed.

John

#3 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:06 PM

OOPS!  I forgot to address turning the strips in to squares.

- Option #1 using the speed square:   This will be the most time consuming option.  Make a spacer the width of the strip you cut plus the distance from the glass cutter wheel to the edge of the speed square.  You will use this spacer to measure how far to have the strip sticking out past the edge of the speed square.  Remember you will need to have the lip of the speed square off the bard, table, ... so you can push down on the square to hold the strip in place while you score.

- Option #2 Using the "T" square jig: 

-  Yard Stick - Slide the strip along the yard stick under the long bar to the measurement you want. You can use push pins or tape something to your board/table to use as a stop or you can just keep sliding the strip after each score to where the score line lines up with your initial measurement mark.

-  Framing square - As you will already have a stop set from making the strips, just rotate the strip 90° and score the square, snap it off and repeat until done.

#4 Omnimusico

Omnimusico

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

Hi John I reaaally appreciate your response. It will be useful to think a lot of things. However i have noticed that you talk about cutting glass, an i understand that the better the cut the less i have to use the grinder, but what i was looking for was a tool or a way to use into the grinder. Because sometimes for one thing or another the cut is not very well done and when I have to correct it with the grinder I don't know any tool to use with the grinder to achieve the squares. I use miself a speed square to do the cuts but when it comes the time to finalise the piece it have to be done with the grinder (or at least i do it that way) and i dont know any precision tool to do that. And, because of the project being all squares, a bad angle can ruin it very easily.
Do you know something like that?
I m very glad i joined this group, i was all alone a bunch of years :)

#5 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:16 PM

Yes there are accessory kits for grinders which have an adjustable straight edge. 

Glastar Straight Edge Guide is one & comes with some of the glastar grinders.  If you have a Glastar with an accessory drawer, check to see if there is one in there.  If you google "Glastar Straight Edge Guide" & look for an image it will help you to now what you are looking for.

#6 Omnimusico

Omnimusico

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:32 PM

Thank you John, that accessory is what i use an i call it "ruller" but it allow you to achieve parallels but no squares. I think that an image will explain better what im talking about but i tried to upload here whithout succes.

#7 Omnimusico

Omnimusico

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:37 PM

http://i1202.photobu....01.47 PM_1.png

#8 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:32 AM

You mentioned that your cutting skills are part of the problem.  I would suggest you work on that.  Maybe cut your strips, then make a template of the square you need, and trace it onto that strip.  When grinding, grind only to the inside of the marked line on your template.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users