#1 RainierR

RainierR

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

Hi!

I have always soldered "U"s to my zinc framed panels for hanging, as I was taught when I first started back in 2013. But recently had my first one break off on a custom piece. Slightly embarrassed that my solder joint wasn't secure enough!

What methods do others use to hang their panels? Most of mine are around 12x12, lead came and bordered with zinc. The piece mentioned above was 14x9.

#2 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

Drill a hole through the zinc.  Run the copper wire ends into the hole.  Solder wire to zinc. 

#3 RainierR

RainierR

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:01 AM

Mt_top, thank you. Ive seen a few people suggest this using a 1/8 bit. In my head it doesnt look as clean as jump loops and chain but security is certainly more important than looks when it comes to hanging pieces. I'll have to try this.

#4 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:39 PM

I use several methods.  One is copper tabs 3/4 inch wide , with hole in the top for hanging.  I tin the solder side of the copper and the zinc, then sweat solder it together. The flat surface insures a solid solder joint.

Also use copper wire "U"  hangers. The copper comes in rolls as "Ground Wire" and I heat it to anneal it making it soft, the flatten the ends of the "U" so I have a flat surface to solder. Tin as in above and sweat it to the zinc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hanging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users