12 replies to this topic

#1 EMJ421

EMJ421

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

I am fairly new to this forum as well as to stained glass in general.  I could not find out how to search this forum so apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

I want to use the flex-bar braided tinned copper restrip to add strength to a large flower I am making. I am thinking of running it down one petal on the right, down around the circle-middle of the flower, and then up the left side of a petal so that my hooks will be on the two petals containing the restrip.

QUESTION:

Do I solder my petals first/ then add the restrip/ then add more solder over the restrip?

I could not find directions for this product anywhere!

THANKS in advance!

EMJ

#2 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

I use braided wire for reinforcement often.  Whether braided wire or re-strip, it should be inserted between the pieces of glass after the pieces are foiled, and before soldering.  How big is the piece?

#3 EMJ421

EMJ421

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

13 x 13 - the petals are not totally attached to one another-so I am actually putting the restrip on the outside - over the foil. I just can't get a nice rounded solder over the restrip . Hope this makes sense. 

#4 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

Unless I could see it, I just don't know how to answer your question properly.  Sorry

#5 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

13 x 13 - the petals are not totally attached to one another-so I am actually putting the restrip on the outside - over the foil. I just can't get a nice rounded solder over the restrip . Hope this makes sense. 

Getting a rounded edge with solder is tricky. If you have a heat controlled iron, foil an piece of scrap glass, and then keep turning down your iron temperature until it beads. Also 63/37 solder works well, since it freezes almost instantly after you lift the heat.  

#6 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

Since there has been no update with size, I will offer an option for smaller to moderate sized hangings.  Instead of using the braid re-enforcement around the outside, I would use copper wire.  The solder will bead nicely over the wire.  The wire plus the lead bead will provide a lot of re-enforcement.  18 gauge works well with smaller projects & 16 with moderate sized ones.  I prefer tinned wire.

As far as hanging, you are on the right track with wanting to embed the hanger in a solder line rather than to the foil on the outside.  It is not normally necessary to circle the center of the flower.  As long as you can embed1/2" to 3/4" of the wire for your hanger into an inner solder line it should work well.

2 points of embedding for larger pieces is recommended.

Hope you are still following this thread & can give us an update on your project.

John

#7 EMJ421

EMJ421

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

Hi thanks to John and Lampman and Annbelle, I have tried to post a picture but my file size may have been too big. The size of the flower is 13 x 13. 

I have the same issue with a heart that is 10 x 10- I put the braided strip lining the entire outside of the heart, but very difficult to get a nice edge over this braided strip. 

Thank you so much

#8 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

I recommend removing the braid & applying wire to the edge.

Fortunately removing the braid from the outside is fairly easy. You can use a spring clamp to hold the piece to a work surface.  Use a pair of pliers to gently pull the braid away from the project while melting the solder.  Next run the soldering iron around the edge letting the solder drip off leaving you with a tinned surface.  Apply the wire to the middle of the edge. As you wrap it tack solder it in place.  After completely wrapping the edge, you go back & add solder using a drop & lift motion to where you end up with a nice bead. 

NOTE:  As you are beading the edge, the surface you are applying solder to needs to be horizontal.

There is still a problem with posting ANY photos.  This problem has been present for quite a while.  Chantel, the owner of this site, is looking into options to upgrade this site to fix this problem. It has been a couple of months since Boris last made a post on this topic.

John

#9 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

Correction on photo update.  Boris did post Chantel is still looking into the problem back in early July.

#10 EMJ421

EMJ421

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:45 AM

OK thanks John.

#11 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

Chantal has not replied to my e-mails.  Last I heard she was checking the software for this site. It may be outdated.

#12 EMJ421

EMJ421

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:36 AM

John, just wanted to give you an update ... I used the copper wire (as you suggested) on the outside of a Christmas tree suncatcher I just made. Worked way better than the flex braid--- thanks so much!!!!

#13 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:31 PM

EM, thanks for the update.  Glad it worked well for you!  Now that you have been successful using wire, you have added a tool/option to your tool chest of tricks.

Once the photo posting challenge is resolved, It will make it easier for folks to share & help.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users