4 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy Bear

Cindy Bear

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

Hello, I am brand new to making stained glass. Have been slowly gettingthe things I need to get started, including a homasote board. Found one at home depot.

From everything I have researched, I am supposed to be able to use pushpins on it easily, but have to use a hammer instead to put them in my Morton layout add ons.

What am I doing wrong? Did I miss a step? Am,I supposed to be using the homasote just for soldering?

Thanks.

#2 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

Should be easy to insert pins, your board may be a "new, improved" version?   My board feels sorta fuzzy on the edges where it was cut.  Top and bottom of the board is rough texture, feels sorta like the fibers are coated with glue.  The board is one color, not painted.

#3 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:07 AM

I could not buy the hemostat board (unless I bought at least 10 sheets that had to be shipped to the lumber stores) where I live in California and had to go with a type of sound board, which is close to hemostat board but not the same thing.  Mine is about 1/4 inch thick and I cannot use pins on it because they do not work as he board is too thin and it goes into my countertop or worktop so I use a piece of plywood under it and then I use the horseshoe nails and a small hammer to put them in with to hold in place.  I can remove the nails with my fingers so they are not slammed into the wood, just enough to hold things in place.  I can solder on it also with no problems at all.  The bad part, if I do not cover it at night as it is my cat's area, it will get shredded with the claws, she loves it for that lol!

#4 Cindy Bear

Cindy Bear

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

Thanks - I think I got the wrong board. Looked up "homasote board" on the home depot site and got a 1/2" thick 2' x 2' for around $7. The only other option that I found was to buy a piece from the Delphi glass site, and their shipping is pretty expensive. 

Have decided to keep the board I have and use it for soldering and a good work surface. If I ever get to a stained glass shop will check out what they offer for homasote.  

#5 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:46 AM

Welcome Cindy!

Homasote board in my area is sold in 1/2" thick sheets.  It is a recycled paper product with flame retardant embedded in it.  This as I am sure you have found out in your research makes it useful for assembling stained glass projects.  If you purchase a larger sheet of homasote board & plan to cut it into smaller boards, do it outside!  The saw dust is very light, will float everywhere, & hang in the air.

As far as the push pins going in, there are several factors involved: 

-  How far you are pushing them in?  The further in the harder it gets.

-  Is there any rust on them?  Rust creates friction making it harder to push them in.

-  How sharp are they?  As they are used they will slowly get dull.

-  Body position when inserting them.  Sitting you will have less leverage than standing.  If you have any type of grip challenges, arthritis, carpel tunnel, ..., it will add to the difficulty.

It is not uncommon for folks pinning down Morton Layout Blocks or strips of yard sticks to use a small hammer due to the depth the pins have to go.  I keep mini claw hammers in my studio to make pulling them out  easy.  When using Layout blocks, I use 1/2" aluminum headed push pins to ensure they do not go all the way through into the table tops.  There is a risk of this with 5/8" push pins.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users