Photo

Using A Stained Glass Bandsaw To Cut Mirror?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:30 AM

Will it do this OK and if so, will a glass grinder produce a satisfactory finish for smoothing out the shape?
Thanks.

#2 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:13 AM

You can use a saw on mirror glass, but, it will take the mirror finish off and everytime you nick it, the clear glass will show thru.  It is best to cut it as accurately as possible and try not to use a grinder either as that too will take the mirror finish off and leave the clear glass.  I have used a very smooth old grinder bit and carefully grind, but in the end result, it will still take off the mirror finish.  I also use the mirror edging spray and coat the entire piece before grinding and also after I have cleaned it up I will recoat before foiling the piece.  I also cut my mirror glass on a towel so the backside does not get scratched or damaged.  Try some scrap mirror before trying to do the piece to practice on, it can be a little difficult.  The saw blade will also take off some of the mirror finish and leave ragged looking ends, some can be covered with silver backed foil, so experiment 1st.

#3 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:15 PM

OK thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users