2 replies to this topic

#1 mommasmorelli

mommasmorelli

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

I reclaimed 2 large sheets of l/4" beveled edged glass a were put out for the garbage.   I tried to cut one of the pieces down by scoring it on one side and tapping and snapping but it didn't even show signs of breaking.  I turned it over and scored the other side on the same score line, tapped, and tried to snap on a straight edge, an easy break button, but it still would not break.   I would appreciate any tips or suggestions. 

#2 Fox

Fox

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:45 PM

You quite possibly have tempered glass: when you get it to break you won't like what happens. I've cut down some largish pieces of bevelled glass that wasn't tempered -- it didn't require too much effort, certainly no more than you've described trying.

#3 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

I too think you might have tempered glass, and if you do manage to break it, make sure you have something all over the floor to catch all the chunks of glass.  We had a skateboarder hit the window at work jumping the little curb and shattered the tempered glass window and it went all over the office.  A real mess!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users