#1 Dan

Dan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Stained glass, woodworking, paper model building

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:11 AM

I have been using studio pro (7/32" silver back) and have had problems with the foil not adhering properly to the glass on a few of my boxes. Sometimes it works very well and other times not so much, hitting about .500. I also tried venture tape (black) and it was even worse. After cutting and grinding I wash all pieces with soap, give them a thorough rinse and air dry for at least an hour before foiling. I get to about 90% completion of my project and the tape starts to peel. This is very frustrating. Anyone have any suggestions for a high quality foil?

Thanks.

#2 caffiene

caffiene

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

i prefer venture but studio pro is good.  I don't wash with soap.  I wash with water after it dries I do a wipe down with 80 per cent rubbing alcohol.  make sure the foil makes good contact with glass by using a fid or rub stick after you put I on.  this technique has worked for me for years.

#3 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:20 PM

i prefer venture but studio pro is good.  I don't wash with soap.  I wash with water after it dries I do a wipe down with 80 per cent rubbing alcohol.  make sure the foil makes good contact with glass by using a fid or rub stick after you put I on.  this technique has worked for me for years.

Good advice.  Have never had a problem with this method and use all makes of foil. The foil is only made to stick to glass so you can solder it. Its not a strong adhesive that has any other value.

#4 With The Grain

With The Grain

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:02 AM

I'm pretty new to all of this but have been using EDCO foil tape. I do not wash the pieces before taping. They're usually wet from grinding and I just wipe them down well and let them air dry and the tape adheres well. I do have a roll of tape that was close to two years old that does not stick very well now but the new stuff I ordered a few weeks ago works very well. From what I understand the adhesive does have a shelf life.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users