7 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

Picked these up the other day.  In the handle it says, "Red Devil 210 - 8- 1/2".  The inside of the jaws are consistent with breaking pliers but there is a curved bump or raised area on the back side on one of the jaws.  It may have been used to hammer in nails or as a fulcrum for prying/stretching.  Anyone familiar with these?

176251470213.gif

Thanks, John

#2 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

Quick note:  The picture is one I copied from an Google image post & just pasted in the above text.  I did not try to upload an image as I knew it would fail.  It worked as far I can tell.  Please let me know if you can see it or not.

Thanks! John

#3 ddistrbd1

ddistrbd1

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:49 PM

Hi John, I have seen them advertised as Big size glass pliers/pinchers" they seem to be used for breaking 8-19mm glass or ceramic, the ones I am talking about  are 12" long though.:

https://www.aliexpre...fd-68e353108f7e

#4 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

They are similar.  The ones I have have smooth jaws.

Since the ones I have are marketed by "Red Devil",  I am inclined to believe they are for glass but am hoping for confirmation from anyone who may have first hand knowledge.

Thanks for the input!

John

#5 WayneFL

WayneFL

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:19 AM

Those Red Devil pliers are smooth jaw breaking pliers.   The size indicates they are used for large float glass breaking though they could be used for SG.  The most common SG breaking pliers are smaller (1/2" width) with smooth jaws. Years ago, there were some short handle breakers with 1" jaws which contained a few teeth on both top and bottom jaws,  not to be confused with grozing pliers.

#6 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:53 AM

Thanks Wayne.  Do you know if the bump on the bottom side is intended for light hammering, as a fulcrum while breaking, or for something else?

#7 WayneFL

WayneFL

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:19 AM

John, that is exactly the intention of the lower jaw bump.   They are running pliers when there is a fulcrum present. 

#8 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:21 AM

Thanks!

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users