#1 Dandc

Dandc

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:32 AM

Hello!
I've finally become a member to ask this question - usually I just spend hours reading everyone else's comments 🙂 - and wonder if someone can give me some advice please!
I've just got to the soldering stage of my first copper foil project and have a plan to tack, then tin the front, turn & bead the back for practice, then turn and bead the front. I've practised soldering on spare bits first.
I started by making a frame of lead came on three sides and think it better to remove the lead border after the tacking stage as I can quite easily see myself getting solder on these accidentally. I plan to tin to the edges but bead to within a quarter of an inch as I would like to get the piece framed with wood.
My main problem is time and a paranoia about oxidisation. I have just bought some Kwik-Clean and have read around about it but am not sure if I can use it after I have finished for the day, then flux over it about a week later to continue the project. I don't have my own tools and use workshop space that is only available weekly. The piece is too big to clean with water and detergent and I know that I can't leave flux on for a week at a time.
Any comments and help would really be appreciated as I keep going over everything in my head and am getting more and more scared about actually starting the project!
Many thanks!!

#2 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

DanDC,  welcome! 

- I did the same thing at first.  I read old posts but joined at first so I could view the photos in them.  There is a lot of great information from a lot of knowledgeable folks stored there.

-  Yes, you can clean the project between the times you are working with it.  Since you can only work with it weekly, it would be a good idea, especially if something happened to prevent you from working on it the next week.  The flux & patina removers such as Kwik-Clean, & CJ's are simply soaps with a base added to it which will clean & neutralize the acid in the flux or patina. 

- You are on the right track with not adding the edge until last & your plan of attack with the soldering.

Please keep use updated as your knowledge & skill grows.

John

#3 Dandc

Dandc

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

Thanks John!

I am working on it tomorrow (today now!) and suspected that it was a bit late to post a question and expect a reply, so I really appreciate your timely advice and feel a lot happier about how to proceed. I can't believe how quickly I've become hooked on this new hobby!

Thanks again for your encouragement!

#4 Dandc

Dandc

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

Sorry! I should have asked this before but exactly how much Kwik-Clean should I put on? Just a quick spray or should I really cover the piece and should I rub it in lightly with a brush to get in everywhere or just wipe it off with a paper towel?

Thank you!

#5 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

I just squirt a small amount & the scrub brush spreads it around.  (Think of it as washing a plate with dish soap.)

#6 Dandc

Dandc

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:31 AM

Thanks again John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users