#1 Dandc

Dandc

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:44 AM

Hello!

I joined this excellent site a couple of days ago so I hope I am right in thinking that a member posts each question separately when it is on a different topic and doesn't use their existing post to ask further questions.

I have a copper foil project that I am in the process of soldering and, thinking ahead, I am wondering if I ought to polish (using Simichrome?) and wax (Turtlewax Carnauba wax?) the piece first before adding the lead came border and using cement?

Also, I haven't quite decided whether to leave the solder silver or add a little black patina. If I decide to use patina, do I omit the polishing stage and just wax after applying the patina?

My current plan is to frame the piece in wood but, as this is my first copper foil project, this could quite likely change!!

Any thoughts or information about what others do, would really be appreciated.

Many thanks!

#2 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

Welcome!   Are you soldering the lead came border to the copper foil?  If so, do your waxing after you are done soldering.  On small pieces, do you really need the lead came border, especially if covered up in a wood frame?   Cement is another mess to deal with.  I would not use a lead border if making a wood frame since you would be smart to make the frame after your glass work is complete. 

My limited experience with waxing is the solder still oxidizes...not sure waxing is worth the time & trouble, plus wax can get into pits in the glass. 

#3 Dandc

Dandc

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for your comments.

The piece is 10"x 30" and I was not intending to solder the copper foil to the lead came border, simply to avoid the extra bumps. The person making the wood frame asked for a lead came border.

It's interesting what you say about waxing not making a difference and I hadn't thought of the wax getting into the glass!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users