Photo

Opalescent Or Transparent/transluscent Glass, Which Do You Use The Most?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ddistrbd1

ddistrbd1

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:00 PM

I am just qurious to find out what type of glass do you use the most in your projects, I ask this question mainly because I find myself gavitate to opalescent more and more to get the effects I hope to achieve , of course the pattern in use should determine the type( I suppose) but opalescent glass seems to give me more freedom to treat my stained glass projects more like a painting project by choosing many different shades of a single color in (for example) a face in order to show the highlights around the face and the lowlights around the back. does that make sense?

I would really like to know what the more experienced or seasoned members use the most.

Thanks.

Ken.

#2 Fox

Fox

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:45 AM

All kinds of glass can produce spectacular results, but I prefer opalescent (or more accurately semi-opalescent) for doing anything figurative. There can be a problem if you start thinking in a too "painterly" fashion, though: I have more than once wandered around a fairly well-stocked store with an clear idea in mind and a virtual blank check to buy what I wanted, and still come up blank. By contrast, with a dollar-store set of watercolours I know I can set down a scene exactly the way I want it; in the last few decades I've done one or two pieces in glass that I felt were entirely "right". Colour is one factor, but so is the degree of transparency As it is I get all the glass I can afford and play around with it to see if something comes to mind : this won't do for production work , but it gives me some satisfaction.

#3 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

I too use a variety of different types of glass depending on what it is I am trying to accomplish and the look I want when finished.  I use all the different brands as they all have some purpose to fill a place in a piece of art.  My preferred glass is Fremont because I like it best!  It comes in a wide variety of colors and my favorite part is that it cuts like BUTTER.  Price wise, I do not like so much.  I have friends who do stained glass and their idea for glass is to hand pick it all from a store, and then use a certain spot in the glass for a certain piece and the rest is waste to them.  Personally, I cannot afford to do that and I also do not cut a sheet of glass for one particular spot in the glass.  I also use up most of my scrap glass in other ways so my waste is minimal.  I like using the more expensive glass, Yough., Uboro., etc., but some of it can be a real bear to cut and get a clean break on the score line.  In my overall answer, I use it all and it depends on what the look is you are trying to accomplish in your perceived vision of the end result.

#4 ddistrbd1

ddistrbd1

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:11 PM

Thank you both for chiming in and sharing your thoughts.

I have friends who do stained glass and their idea for glass is to hand pick it all from a store, and then use a certain spot in the glass for a certain piece and the rest is waste to them.  Personally, I cannot afford to do that and I also do not cut a sheet of glass for one particular spot in the glass.  

I wish I had access to plenty of glass so I could pick and choose every piece based on the specific lines/designs/texture, etc. but that's what separates me from the paid artisans doesn't it, stained glass sheets are way too expensive in around here and I (like you and many others)  try my best to keep the waste at the minimum , after 3 months of being in this hobby I already have two box full of scraps but none of it will go to waste if I can help it.

#5 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:10 AM

I will also sell my scrap glass. so nothing goes to waste here.  My old unusable lead is also recycled in more than one way, lots of uses for it if you research it all out.  Good luck in your projects.

#6 Berna

Berna

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:06 AM

Can I ask what you do with the old lead? Here in the Netherlands I can only bring it to the metal scrap shop. I have no idea what else to do with it. 

#7 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

People here in CA listed it as a "Wanted" on Craigslist and they melt it and use it for other things but it has to be clean lead.  I too have melted it, but I do not like doing that as it is not that safe and done outside. I have used it to make lead stained glass items like butterfly, dragonfly bodies, and some other forms from some small molds I have.  I prefer to get rid of it myself, much easier.

#8 ddistrbd1

ddistrbd1

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

You must be doing a lot of projects to have so much left over lead, I'm only doing one project a week nowadays and reuse the little amount of left over lead for tacking other projects, never have more than a small pill bottle. 

#9 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

Actually, no I do not, I also throw my let overs in a box and use them up too.  But, I have been given lead that is so messed up you cannot use it at all, and that is usually the things I recycle or sell, the things I cannot use.  It is too expensive to throw out!  Same on the glass and it can be used for other purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users