5 replies to this topic

#1 billbris

billbris

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:08 AM

Question: Where does on find molds (forms)?

First timer here!

After reading a number of the questions and answers on this forum, I purchased my lamp stand first.  Now I need to find the perfect shade to fit upon it.

I've seen the forms at Odyssey and Worden is out of business.  

Ideally, I would like to find a mold of my desired shape, and then a pattern to fit that shape.

However, since I have never done this before, I am looking forward to learning from all of you what is available, and what to expect.

Thank you in advance.

#2 WayneFL

WayneFL

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:13 AM

Even though Worden is out of business, some online stores still have a few of the forms.  If you are interested in that,  you have to begin searching.

Odyssey forms are usually special order items from glass stores.  To decide which sizes and shapes are available, check out the Odyssey line of forms/molds.   http://mosaicshades....2005/index.html

You say you have a stand/base already.  Note that the Odyssey system (Tiffany reproductions) does not use a base harp.  If you have one, you will have to change it to match the wheel/ring/cap system used by Odyssey.  (Worden works with harps since it promotes the use of vase caps and is more popular among the hobby crowd)

#3 billbris

billbris

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:32 AM

@WayneFL, Thank you for the information.  

re Worden and Odyssey the only solutions out there?  It seems that they are the only two (now one) solution(s).  I find that odd, but as I stated, I am new here.

Thank you again,

B.

#4 WayneFL

WayneFL

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:35 AM

There  used to me a bunch of foreign shade/mold makers.  Over time, as the popularity of cold glass declined, the popularity of shades declined as well but even faster.  There are some who make Tiffany reproduction molds, besides Odyssey, but they are expensive and shipping to the US is costly.

#5 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:05 AM

Bill,  Wayne is a great source of information on lamps! 

Several years ago, the market was filled with import stained glass lamps & very realistic imitation glass lamp shades which sold for much less then one could buy the supplies to make one for.  This plus the fact the molds can be reused lead to a very low demand & a drying up of the availability of molds & patterns.

If a 20" shade would work for you, I have an extra Worden C-20-P mold I will give you.  As Wayne noted there are several different patterns available.  Google

Worden-20-P and several places will come up.  If you look on Ebay or a similar site, click on the item and check the description to make sure of the mold the pattern is designed for.

Keep us updated on your progress.

John

#6 billbris

billbris

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

John,

Thank you for the kind offer.  I found a Worden acorn mold and pattern that will work wonderfully for me.  I just hope I will work wonderfully for it.

It does seem as though find molds and patterns is a rather difficult task.

Once again, thank you for your insights and offer.  It is quite kind.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users